Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rays of hope

- Mormons against Prop 8 speak up within their church; last month ex-Mormon Bruce Bastian chipped in $1mill

-No On 8 fundraising is still behind, but $3mill have come in over the last 10 days (compared to $.4mill for Yes On 8) to help close the gap some. This was helped by contribution-matching donations by producer Steve Bing ($.5mill) and an earlier similar offers by Grey's Anatomy's TR Knight ($50,000) and Ohio entrepreneur Jonathan Lewis ($.5mill).

-A survey released from Asian American Californians find the Yes/No split to be 32%/57%. The article credits the framing of the matter as a civil rights issue.

-California's largest teacher's union gives $1mill for No On 8. I'm happy about the message of support it sends, but kinda surprised they'd spend their money like this.

-Google didn't give any money, but made a public statement in opposition to Prop 8.

3 comments:

Polly said...

Hey LT! Thanks for the rays of hope. I am making a concerted effort to manifest some major positivity.

We can do this. Therer is enogh love to go around.

Mega-blogebrity dooce added a No on 8 coda to her post for Oct 16, "Mortified." "It's a civil rights issue, period."

Plenty of action in the comments following it. Given she's a former Mormon writing from LDS central in SLC, she showed the ovaries we all figure she has, in posting this.

In celebration of the rays of light, I've just broken in your donation thermometer! Cheers!

L said...

Thanks so much Polly! and for the support, the donation, the link to "Mortified" (and the bit of humor that post ended on). I've long loved your blog and the No On 8 stuff you're doing is amazing.

Polly said...

Thank you, back, sister smurf. ;)

This whole shebang is making me CRAZY I tell you. I'd have written "Tell ya" but I can no longer write out the word "ya" and not think of S. Palin, so there goes that one.

I am TRYING TRYING TRYING, so are we all. And though earlier last week I hit a nadir (talking NADIR), so bad I had to recuse myself of childcare for an afternoon and try to gather myself again, I actually truly believe it is possible that we will see love come from behind and overtake hate.

SEABISCUIT LIVES! Or what have you.

And Keep Hope Alive!

If I can lasso my scattered brain long enough, I'll totally put a link to this blog in my No on 8 stockpile along the sidebar of the home page. And thank you for the videos! I just might borrow one one of these days (with a generous tip of the No on 8 basebal cap).

Love conquers all,
P